The summer heat is in the 100’s in San Antonio and all I want to do is stay cool! No muss and fuss in the kitchen–just give me cool, colorful, fresh foods and I’m happy. For a bit of not so guilty sweet, try my fresh strawberry pie. I combined several recipes to come up with my own version. Try a whole wheat pie crust for good fiber and crunchiness. The cream cheese on the bottom of the pie keeps the strawberry glaze from making the crust soggy. I leave the strawberries whole for best presentation. I love pecans so I put some in the cream cheese and also sprinkle a few around the strawberries before I pour the glaze. Be sure to cool the glaze a little before you pour over the strawberries. You don’t want to melt the cream cheese or cook the berries. But don’t wait too long of the glaze will jell and you won’t be able to pour it. Top with a dollop of whipped cream. Ice cream could work but is too sweet and melty for this recipe, in my opinion. Have fun with the recipe! It looks amazing and tastes even better.
LINDA’S FRESH STRAWBERRY CREAM CHEESE PIE
- 1 Wholly Wholesome Whole Wheat Pie Shell, baked and cooled. (Found at Whole Foods in TX).
- ½ 8-oz package Cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 ½ tsp. Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp. Lemon Rind, grated
- ¼ cup Pecans, chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Cornstarch
- 8-10 oz. Sprite or 7-Up, regular
- ½ 3 oz box Strawberry Jell-O
- 20 Fresh Strawberries, cleaned, de-stemmed
- Whipped Cream
- Pre-bake pie shell per package directions. Cool.
- Clean strawberries and leave whole. Blot to remove water.
- Combine cream cheese, powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon rind and chopped pecans in food processor. Pulse until whipped and well blended. Set aside.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and sprite in saucepan. Cook over medium heat, while whisking occasionally, until translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
- Add strawberry Jell-O to hot mixture and whisk until blended.
- Take off of heat and cool to room temperature.
- Spread cream cheese mixture in bottom of cooled pie shell. Top with whole berries—pointed side facing up and trimmed side down.
- Pour glaze over top of berries.
- Refrigerate. Serve with whipped cream dollop on each slice.